Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Becoming Mrs. Blue Moon

Ya'll, I can't believe how the weeks have flown by and how quickly our wedding day has snuck up on us. We are getting married THIS Saturday. It's crazy to think that this time next week, I'll be Mr. Blue Moon's wife. The final weeks have been a blur of finalizing all the little details, from favors to the signs we'll need around our venue. We have been thoroughly showered with everything we'll need to start our married life by our family and friends, we have finished purchasing gifts for our bridal party, and tomorrow night, we're completing our favors with the help of my awesome MOH K. All that's left now is to sit back and relax!

Our haggard faces after waiting in line for our marriage license in Memphis. Personal Photo. 

One huge to-do that we completed within the last few weeks was getting our marriage license. This seemed trickier at first than it really was, because we are currently living in a different state than the one we're getting married in, and Mr. Blue Moon can't ask for any time away from his new job since they're being nice enough to let him have next week off for our honeymoon. Thankfully, Tennessee has this great law where a marriage license from any county is good to marry in any other county, and we live about thirty minutes away from our home state's border. So yep, we drove right over after work one day to get our license from a county different from the one we're marrying in (which is 3.5 hours away from our home in Mississippi) and created a genealogy nightmare for all of our future posterity who might research us a hundred years from now. 

Sorry, not sorry. Via Riffsy.com.

We also finally got the HUGE news from Mama Blue, my almost-mother-in-law, who has been diligently planning our honeymoon for the past several months: we're going to Cozumel, Mexico!!!

YES, YES, SO MUCH YES. Via TripAdvisor

This is our wedding gift from Mr. Blue Moon's parents, and I'm just so freaking excited to be on a white, sandy beach in Mexico. I've never been privileged enough to travel internationally before now, so I am pumped to spend a week relaxing in this beautiful place with Mr. Blue Moon and hopefully getting some snorkeling in, too! 

If you're wondering what all a bride does in the final week before the wedding, it's a lot of running around completing random errands. Crazily enough, I was spending the entirety of last week in yet another city in another state running a debate camp for high schoolers, not getting enough sleep and putting all things wedding on my back burner, so I am really playing catch-up this week. I imagine that for brides who have the entire two weeks before the wedding free, things are a lot more relaxed.

Yep, this bride was back in the classroom during her summer break less than two weeks out from her wedding. Photo by Lauren D., Personal Photo



In the past few days this week alone, Mr. Blue Moon and I have attended one wedding shower, Mr. Blue Moon had his bachelor party, I had an extended meeting with our wedding planner, did walkthroughs of both our ceremony and reception venues, met with our officiant, and have been running random errands for a guest book, stuff to stock our emergency day-of kit, and items I want to take on the honeymoon. I wish I could say I am a totally serene and relaxed bride, but that is just not my personality. I wish I were more organized, but part of me knows I would find a way to complicate things no matter what. I tend to get really stressed before big events in my life, and then wake up totally fine the day-of. I hope that's the same situation this time around! 

Thankfully, our family has been wonderful! Even though Mr. Blue Moon is still in Mississippi until tomorrow night for work, MOH K and I spent the last evening with his family drinking wine, eating delicious strawberry cake, and laughing it up. That really helped take my mind off of the to-do list I've created for myself. Today, I'm going with some of my bridesmaids for a spa day, so I'm really looking forwards to that. Then we have the rehearsal and dinner, and our wedding! 

Many people keep asking how I feel, and it's hard to describe. Nervous isn't the right word, but I'm definitely not totally relaxed, either. My maid of honor asked me on the way back to my place if I'm happy, and to that at least, I can give a resounding "yes!" Knowing that Mr. Blue Moon and I are about to become our own tiny family is just the greatest feeling in the world. My best advice as you reach your own final countdown is to give in to enough of your personal level of crazy to feel in control and sane about the whole wedding part, but also to remember the big picture. There's a person you love waiting for you at the end of that aisle, and that is just an incredible thing! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment