Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Things I Stressed About

When Mr. Blue Moon and I first got engaged, one of the things I was most nervous about was working out all the little details with my parents. There was never really a question that my parents would pay for a good portion of my wedding. We are Southerners, and it was something my mom's parents did for her, and we have always made jokes since I was a little girl about my dad footing the bill for this shindig. That said, the way this usually goes down in Southern families is that since the bride's parents are paying, the bride's parents want (and deserve!) a lot of input in the wedding. I have a great relationship with my parents, but we are also very different people. This is my list of all the things I was initially worried about dealing with, and how we are handling it...for better or worse!

1. Food: Mr. Blue Moon and I have been vegetarians for going on three years, and I never really imagined serving anything other than vegetarian food at the wedding. Many of our guests don't eat meat, but our families both do. The menu has been a source of contention between Mom and I from the get-go. She thinks it's bad-hostessing to not offer a meat option, but I think the reception menu should be a reflection of the couple. Either way, we both want to make sure all of our guests are happy and that no one leaves hungry, but we still haven't decided on a final menu. Thankfully, it's just as important to my mom to help me pick out a fabulous meal for our vegetarian and vegan friends to enjoy. I hate going to weddings where I can only nibble on the veggie display!

From My Big Fat Greek Wedding via Joy Runner

2. Booze: The majority of my family doesn't drink. Not a glass of champagne on the holidays, no wine at dinner, nothing. =This is the lifestyle I was raised in, and I've always been ok with it. I have never really questioned that I would be having a dry wedding due to my family's preferences, but my parents compromised on this one and agreed to allow us to serve it to please all our guests. Though I will always respect my parents for sticking to their guns as they were raising my brothers and I and trying to provide us the very best example they could, I'm glad that we will have different options for our wedding guests who choose to partake. At the end of the day, I want everyone to have a great time at our reception and be happy with both the alcoholic and nonalcoholic beverage options (I can make some rockin' mocktails). 


3. The Dress: Dress shopping was the part I was least excited about out of everything. I was worried that what my Mom likes and what I like on me were not the same thing, and since she graciously offered to buy my dress, I wanted something we both loved. I like lace and lean towards simpler looking gowns, probably because I have put on weight over the past two years and feel really self-conscious about anything that draws too much attention to me. My mom really likes bling and the wow factor and would encourage me to try anything on no matter how much I felt like it wouldn't flatter me. It's nice to have someone who always thinks I look like my best self. I guess that's what moms are for! Thankfully, this resolved itself because Mom and I both fell in love with the same dress. I was so glad I took her dress shopping with me and got to have that bridal moment with her. It was perfect!


How are you resolving differences between all the parties interested in your wedding? Has anything surprised you during the planning process with family members?


0 comments:

Post a Comment