Tuesday, October 20, 2015

Nice to Meet You!

Hello friends, old and new! I am so excited to share this blog with you. Although I know that millions of weddings are planned around the world every year, I am creating this space to follow my wedding journey, and I hope that some readers might enjoy it, too!

When I was younger, I really wasn't the type to constantly dream about my wedding. In fact, I thought for the longest time that I would never want to get married. Now that the day is quickly approaching, I can't believe how excited I am to plan and share all the special moments with my close family and friends.

Me as a flower-girl, circa 1990-something.

Before we dive in to my love story and my wedding planning adventure, I wanted to talk a little bit about who I am, which should be an interesting process, because lately I have been feeling like I don't really know.

I'm 22 years old. I was born and raised around Nashville, Tennessee. I have wonderful, loving parents, two younger brothers (20 and 15), and an extraordinary fiancé. His name is Don, but I am dedicating a whole post to him later. :) Together, we have two cats: Juno and Jensen. I graduated from Mercer University last May with a BA in English, and promptly moved to rural Mississippi on a flight of fancy to teach 7th grade reading through Teach For America. I've been a vegetarian for three years, and I love to read, spend time outdoors, and shop.

My parents and I on graduation day. I'm the first college graduate in my family!

That's pretty much all I know for certain about me right now. For eight years in high school and college, I was a debater. Last year, my partner and I were one of the top-ranked teams in the nation. Debate had been my identity for a long time. It was what I knew and loved, and I was good at it. About three years ago, this passion translated into a coaching job at a local high school, and that is when I decided I might want to be a teacher.

My grandmother was a teacher, and I loved working with teenagers through debate, so I started taking education classes and preparing to be certified. I was so excited to have a classroom of my very own and student to challenge, lead, and love. I applied to be part of Teach Of America, an organization that places recent college graduates into failing schools all around the country, and was ushered through the applications process. I was a shoo-in. When I finally got here to Mississippi, and into my own 7th grade classroom, it was much harder than I ever imagined and has shaken me and broken me to my core.

Just an average day of selfies in the classroom. 

Thankfully, I have the support of my amazing fiancé and my family. The wedding planning is a welcome distraction, and in the spring, we'll be setting up our home and our life together!

I'm so excited to share this journey with you. Thanks for stopping by!

Love,
Linds

0 comments:

Post a Comment