Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Virtue Has a Veil


Mr. Blue Moon, please don't read this one! You'll see pictures of the dress. :O :O :O

This is one of my favorite Victor Hugo quotes. He was a French poet, and this is one of the many examples of my English major nerdom coming out. But it does tie in nicely with what I have spent this week doing: beginning to accessorize my wedding gown

I have been able to get back into the sample of my beautiful dress TWICE this week, which was a rare treat since I haven't tried it on since January. My nanna and Mr. Blue Moon's mamaw were able to meet us at David's Bridal to help pick out bridesmaids' dresses, and my mom really wanted me to try on my dress for them again. I was only too happy to comply! 

Personal Photo

Mama Blue (my future mother-in-law) requested to see the dress without a crinoline or belt in the middle, and this is what it looked like without either one. I am leaning towards going without a crinoline like she suggests. Nanna thought I looked more like myself without the crinoline underneath, and I sort of like the way the dress looks hanging all softly instead of standing out so stiff. 

I definitely think I am going to pick out a belt once my dress comes in, though. I think my hips look massive without something nipping in my waist a little more. Of course, once my dress is altered in perfection and I can see it in the solid ivory (this is ivory over champagne), I may change my mind. I'm also open to suggestions, so let me know what you think! 

The real purpose of trying the sample dress on again, besides to show the grandmothers, was to choose a veil to go with it. I probably tried on half a dozen, but I narrowed it down to two choices. 

Two-tiered veil with beaded stitched edge from David's Bridal
With Blue Mom

Choice #1 was a two-tier veil with beaded edges. This was the crowd favorite. All of the benefits were duly pointed out to me by my entourage. We could use the first tier as a blusher, which I've always wanted for my walk down the aisle. It's short enough that we can see the back of the dress. I can keep it on for the reception. It won't get slammed in the car door. I just really wanted to try on some long veils, because a long veil is what I've always pictured. 

Chapel length veil with pencil edge from David's Bridal

Here is Choice #2. The chapel length veil with a simple pencil edge was my favorite. My maid of honor pointed out that it gets lost in the dress once it passes the center of my back, and the rest of my entourage said I don't need to overwhelm such a detailed dress with a long veil, and hey, they might be right. But I loved this look, and it is what I was envisioning on my wedding day since I was a little girl. 

My mom could sense that I was starting to waffle and lean towards Choice #1, even though she knew that's not what I had pictured, so she suggested that we come back the next day without an entourage to make the final decision, and that's exactly what we did.

The next day with Blue Mom, it was an easy choice for me to purchase the chapel length veil, and a matching blusher veil to wear over my face for the walk down the aisle. When my dad flips it over my head, it will be a beautiful two-tier look, and I'll get the best of both worlds!

One of the hardest things to do throughout the wedding planning process is to stay true to yourself, because a bride has a lot of people to try to please! My mom was the perfect reinforcement for making sure I picked what I wanted, and I am probably going to stick with wearing a belt at my waist, too. I want to feel good in my dress, and ultimately, I know that's what my family wants for me, too!

Have you gone against the crowd favorite or majority ruling on anything in your wedding planning? Is it easy for you to stick to your guns, or do you tend to give in to peer pressure?




0 comments:

Post a Comment