Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Compromises With Tradition & Two Wedding Showers

For me, one of my favorite parts of  wedding festivities are all the fun events that happen right before the big day itself. Even when I was a little kid, I loved attending people's wedding and baby showers with my mom and grandmothers. I love the games (I'm super competitive), and drinking the fancy punch and eating little finger sandwiches always made me feel so elegant and grown up! I also love shopping for other people, so as I came into my teenage and college years, it was always so fun for me to pick out shower gifts for friends and family.

My nanna generously offered to host my bridal shower with my great aunt and MOH K as co-hostesses. We're in the South and tradition still reigns supreme, so massive showers haven't really made their way to my circle of friends yet. Only those ladies who are closest to the bride are invited to a small shower, and in my case, this included my grandmothers, mom, aunts, female cousins, and bridesmaids.

My shower hosts laid out a beautiful spread of cucumber finger sandwiches, a cheese ball and crackers, a fruit tray, chicken quiche and chicken salad stuffed celery, and petite fours. Nanna also made her famous red punch for that beautiful punch bowl! And of course, she had a Frozen crown for me because I'm her only granddaughter and I'm rotten (and I still love Disney princesses). 


 MOH K did an amazing job co-hosting my shower, and even practiced for her big wedding toast by making the sweetest speech about our friendship!

Of course with MOH K and I together, there are going to be selfies involved.

After shower games and opening some amazing gifts, from two sets of my fine china to a waffle iron, Mr. Blue Moon showed up to thank all of my wonderful ladies with me for hosting such a beautiful afternoon. Since we live in a different state from our families, we always take every opportunity to visit and catch up with everyone. 



 Mr. Blue Moon puts the biggest smile on my face!

 I thought we would be done after one wedding shower, but the mothers of Mr. Blue Moon's two best childhood friends surprised us by planning a groom shower for Mr. Blue Moon. I think it is really cool that I got my very traditional ladies' shower, but then we broke tradition with a groom shower for all the dudes in our families, and the groomsmen. They combined it with a pool party and showered Mr. Blue Moon with home and garden tools. 

I even got a set of pink tools for me! 

We didn't have a bunch of party games at the guy shower since we had the pool, but the hostesses did put together a tasty spread of party food and baked Mr. Blue Moon a beautiful cake. 


It was so special to have everyone to come out and celebrate Mr. Blue Moon. I think a lot of wedding stuff mainly celebrates one partner, so I loved that Mr. Blue Moon had a day all to himself. Overall, both of our wedding shower celebrations were lowkey and very relaxed, just like us, and very family focused. It was all leading up to the most amazing wedding day! 

Have you ever attended a wedding shower for the groom? What kind of creative touches have you noticed in the showers that you have attended? 





0 comments:

Post a Comment