Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Groom Guest Post: From One Groom to Another

As excited as I am to plan this wedding, my excitement pales in comparison sometimes to Don's. Since I promised to involve him in the process in every way, I asked him to do a guest post here for our readers. He asked me what he should write about, and I told him to write about whatever's on his heart. Without further ado, here are Don's words from one groom to another. 


I am getting married! Needless to say, when I wrote, “marry me?” in the sand, I was not expecting a barrage of questions from all of the women in my life. 



Some grooms like to be told when and where to show up and that is the end of it, but I knew from the beginning that I was not like that. I’ll be honest, like most guys, I have never had a dream wedding planned out, but I still wanted to be involved because a wedding is our day, not just mine or hers – despite how it sometimes seems from my mother, her mother, and even my fiancée. Especially in the South, the role of a groom is greatly reduced to just showing up, and even if I weren’t in the South, I imagine my struggles are similar to other grooms elsewhere. With that in mine, here are some tips for being an involved groom without being over bearing.

Communicate!
This is really relationship advice 101, but the same is true for the wedding. I cannot explain how many times we were looking at a venue and then when asked if we like it, we have competing views. That is totally OK! The two of you will disagree on things, and that think you thought was really cool might be completely tacky or look terrible. Look at the pros and the cons of everything, and you will see that you and your fiancée have some opinions in common. Talk around what you like, not what you disagree on otherwise the conversation will always turn negative – sell something, don’t bash it.



Mothers really liked being brides
Your mother was probably a bride and if she wasn’t, then she thought about being a bride. Everything she thought was cool in 1991 is still cool to her today. On top of that, Pinterest and other blogging sites exist, so now you have an amalgam of 1991 and the hottest, trendiest wedding innovations. Unfortunately, those two often don’t mix well. You have to think from the perspective of your mother (or Mother in Law). Just like your future wife, she had a billion wedding ideas floating around while she was trying to plan, and your father or her mother probably shot them down. She may be trying to live vicariously through your wedding. Secondly, wedding etiquette was ingrained in her and she probably has very specific ideas about what is expected from a wedding.
How do you cope with this? You might need to have a come-to-Jesus meeting with the mothers. It is not 1991, and it is not their wedding. Moreover, etiquette is nice, but we have to have our wedding, and really making our day special is more important than making someone else happy. That being said…

My parents on their wedding day

Lindsey's parents on their wedding day


Etiquette matters
I know I just said etiquette doesn’t matter. For the most part it doesn’t, but it is not worth it to upset your grandmother over it. There are certain expectations around weddings. Does this mean you need to follow all of them as though you are Emily Post? Nope, you don’t. Etiquette is actually great at providing some structure and advice as to what you should be doing. It should not dominate your wedding though. My advice: get an etiquette book and read up on what you should be doing. Some of it will seem strange, but do it. If you see something you find absolutely awful (like some wording on an invitation), then change it. It isn’t the end of the world, and if someone doesn’t come to your ceremony because the etiquette was wrong, they probably didn’t really want to come anyways and they’ll probably send a gift anyways since they love etiquette so much.



Be Happy and Get Excited
You always see people frantically scouring Pinterest or trying to figure out the perfect way to do something. As someone who likes to be precise, I can appreciate all of that, and I have scoured Pinetrest trying to make some DIY crafts. People get into arguments over all sorts of crazy wedding things. Literally any part of the wedding is up for debate – and this is not just because my fiancée and I were debaters. Everyone will have an opinion and it is overwhelming and at times annoying when you really disagree with someone but you’re trying to be nice. At the end of the day, on July 9th, I will be marrying the love of my life. That is the fact of the matter regardless of how much arguing happens. You are getting ready to start your life with someone that you love and cherish and she loves and cherishes you too. I always tell Lindsey, “I’m so excited to be marrying you!” and I don’t do it because I want to seem excited, it is because I genuinely am excited. You have to take a step back from all of the inevitable drama that is a wedding and realize that what you’re about to do is incredibly special and something to be excited for.


Everyone is pushing both of you a million different directions. Listen to them and if you disagree, then you disagree. If you see something tacky, speak up. In the same breath, realize that you probably like something tacky, so be ready for criticism. The Mothers and the bride will bicker, just try to make your opinion known without seeming overbearing. Most of all though, enjoy it and get ready to marry the woman of your dreams! 


0 comments:

Post a Comment