Tuesday, May 31, 2016

A Sucker for Pearls: Choosing Bridal Accessories

As we count down to the wedding day, I am really getting down in the weeds of all the little details, including the finishing touches on my wedding day look. I had a general idea of how I wanted my wedding day jewelry to look. I really like delicate jewelry, and I am wearing a super blingy belt, so I knew any super big or blingy pieces would draw attention away from my dress.

Blue Mom has been pushing for string pearls, since she feels this look is timeless, and I think she may have worn them on her wedding day, too. Mrs. Horseshoe wore some beautiful pearls for her wedding day, and it is truly a gorgeous and timeless look.

I happened to be wearing my favorite necklace the last time I tried my dress on. It was a gift from Mr. Blue Moon about four years ago, and it is the only piece I regularly wear besides my engagement ring.


It's a freshwater pearl, and I have since upgraded the chain to a white gold one. I was surprised by how pretty it looked with my dress. It complimented the look without taking away from it, and most importantly, it really helped me look and feel like myself. I know a lot of brides may not want to wear a piece they'd wear any other day, but I am sentimental and Mr. Blue Moon is, too, so I can't imagine a more perfect necklace.

My Nanna generously offered to lend me the rest of my jewelry, and I went over today to try some things on. 

Here's a throwback picture of my great-grandmother, who sadly is no longer with us, myself, and Nanna. Clearly I come from a long line of styln' ladies.


She had freshwater pearl stud earrings that looked super pretty with my necklace and my dark hair. I might end up eventually going for something more dangly, but I'm leaning towards keeping it simple for now. She gave me these to keep either way, so they along with my necklace can be my "somethings old" for the wedding day!


She also has a whole set of London blue topaz. We both have birthdays in December, so it's our birthstone. I opted to stick with my pearl necklace and earrings, but I am SO borrowing this bracelet. 


It is going to be my "something borrowed" and "something blue." I was a little worried about mixing metal colors and stones, but both Blue Mom and Nanna assured me it will look fine. They're a lot more jewelry-savvy than me, so I'm trusting their judgment on that one! 

Blue Mom had one more surprise for me today, which was to offer her shoe clips from her own wedding day in 1991. I had never heard of a shoe clip until today, but apparently they were all the rage (I'm much more ok with these than puff sleeves). 

Blue Mom clipped these to her ivory satin shoes twenty-five years ago, but I think they look just as fabulous and delightfully old school on my mint green wedding shoes. I'm going to be so honored to wear them down the aisle!



I am really pleased that I will be able to wear some of my favorite ladies' accessories on my wedding day, and I know that bracelet will be stunning. Hopefully Mr. Blue Moon is blown away when he sees the whole look together! 

How are you finding your wedding jewelry? Do you plan to borrow pieces, or buy pieces that fit your style perfectly? 



0 comments:

Post a Comment