Tuesday, May 10, 2016

We Lucked Out: Finding our Photographer

Out of all the wedding expenses I knew we would have, the one I dreaded most was the photographer. Our dear friend took our engagement photos for us, but we want her to be able to kick back and enjoy the wedding- especially since her daughter is our flower girl! So the photographer research began. Looking at wedding photographers is what sold me on the fact that I have chosen the wrong career. They typically make more on a single wedding than I do in an entire month as a first-year teacher. But I digress- beautiful photos to last a lifetime is a top priority.


I know I love soft, romantic photography. The use of natural light is important to me since we are going to be surrounded by so much beautiful Tennessee countryside that I want to feature in the background of our pictures.



Our reception venue has so many beautiful outdoor locations, and I really wanted a photographer who will utilize the natural landscape. 

 A couple's engagement shoot at our reception venue, overlooking a lake. Photo by Leah Michelle Photography via Graystone Quarry

I was also looking for a photographer who would take beautiful candids, because I'm a sucker for sweet candid shots such as these. 



And finally, I wanted a photographer who can take dramatic, serious-looking shots. Mr. Blue Moon and I are about the least dramatic and serious people you can imagine, so getting this type of photo for posterity's sake is going to be a tall order, indeed. 


 
 
I expected that finding a photographer to cover all these bases would be a tall order. I was talking to our wedding planner about my issues with finding a versatile photographer that was also affordable, and she suggested that we talk to Amilia James of Amilia Photography. Something rang a bell, and I quickly remembered that Amilia actually graduated in Mr. Blue Moon's high school class. I used to have study hall with her and one of my favorite teachers. I looked at some of her work, and boy was I impressed.


I loved all of her photos, and knew that she would be able to deliver exactly what we want. I reached out to Amilia and she explained her pricing structure to us. We decided to book her for the pre-festivities, the ceremony, and part of the reception. I think we will feel more comfortable with someone we have known for years, and I can't wait to work with Amilia on the day of the wedding. I'm already dying to get my hands on pictures for an event that hasn't even happened yet! 

How did you choose a wedding photographer?





0 comments:

Post a Comment