Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Combining Households is an Adventure

Well hive, the long-awaited day finally happened last Saturday. No, not the wedding, but Mr. Blue Moon's graduation from college. It's an exciting day for anyone regardless of the surrounding circumstances, but this day was especially special for us because it marked the day we would finally kiss long-distance goodbye and combine our households in the same state, and even the same city, for good!

With the happy graduate! 

Mr. Blue Moon's lovely family. 

After the graduation ceremony was over, Mr. Blue Moon's family took us to lunch. When we got back to campus, it was totally empty. My wonderful future in-laws helped us pack up Mr. Blue Moon's dorm room (I won't miss that place!) and we all said our goodbyes. While they headed back to our hometown in Tennessee, the two of us found ourselves on an empty campus where we spent four years, facing a five hour drive back to Mississippi, and no idea what to do next.

Until this week, it's just been me plugging along by myself, visiting Mr. Blue Moon when I can, and enjoying his visits to Mississippi. There has never been a period of time that we were together without dreading the day we'd have to be apart again. So it feels great to know that we are done with the long distance thing forever. 

Living together makes everything feel special, and I wasn't expecting that. Even though we have been dating for six years, we're having a great time coming up with all our "firsts" under the same roof. First grocery list. First bottle of wine opened. First time watching TV on a couch that's in OUR house instead of MY house. It's fun. 

Of course, some things have been kind of difficult, but in a hilarious way. Right now, my home office is also functioning as a guest bedroom, but Mr. Blue Moon really wanted to hang his college degree the day after he moved in. I had to take down one of my paintings to make room, and I think that's when I realized that even small decisions like what to hang in a room are going to be made together.  Mr. Blue Moon also took one look at my shoe closet, and immediately went out to buy a shelf that's taller than I am to get it organized. 

This shoe rack changed my life. 

I think a large part of the fear we were experiencing upon Mr. Blue Moon's graduation was based on the fact that he did not yet have a job. With my housemate, Bridesmaid H, moving out, it was imperative for Mr. Blue Moon to find something solid so we can afford to stay in the same place. He interviewed with a company on Monday, and I'm proud to say that he landed it and will start as an animal hematologist in a national lab in early June. I'm so proud of Mr. Blue Moon! 

To any other young brides who have been facing some nervousness about how they're going to make it, I think it all tends to work out. Now that we are settling in and Mr. Blue Moon has a job, we can throw all our energy into the rest of the wedding planning. We're just about fifty days away now, so it's coming up fast! I can't wait to call this guy my husband. 

Just settling in with our two munchkins. 

Is your big move in together going to happen before or after the wedding? What's the hardest part about it?  

0 comments:

Post a Comment