Monday, May 30, 2016

Alterations, aka, That Time We Basically Bought a Second Dress

When it comes to my wedding gown, I am not sure that I had A Moment like all those brides on Say Yes to the Dress. I got a little misty eyed, and I definitely feel beautiful in my gown, but once we placed the order, I basically forgot my wedding dress existed until it came in and I went for alterations. 


The main thing I was nervous about was whether I'd like the dress just as much in ivory-on-ivory as in ivory-on-champagne, which is what I tried it on in. 


Here they are side-by-side for comparison. The champagne dress is a lovely warm color, but something about the ivory feels so bridal to me. I'm happy we ordered it in the ivory! 

As you can see, the dress does need some changes. In the above photograph, it has been penned for hemming and we are also doing two simple stitches at the bust line to make sure it fits snugly. I'm 5'2" and have a short torso (family trait), so hemming is usually the name of my game. We're also letting the dress out at the sides a bit for a comfier fit and less wrinklage across the middle. 


This is what it looks like with the veil, and the bustle in the back. My seamstress calls this an American bustle, which basically means the bustle gets pinned outside the dress. It all looks like a bunch of tulle to me, but I guess Blue Mom and MOH K get to handle that part. 

Finally, I am having pearl buttons added down the back to the top of the sash bow. This is just a weird thing on my part, because I've always imagined buttons down the back. So buttons it shall be! 

All told, I could have purchased a pretty swell reception dress for the cost of the alterations to my one and only gown. But it has to be done, and I know it'll be so worth it when I'm feeling fabulous in my dream dress on my wedding day! 

How much did you have done in alterations? Did any lucky person out there find a dress that fit perfectly without any changes?


0 comments:

Post a Comment